That happens to me all the time. The problem is that we do not have the budget to go out to dinner all that often. The other problem is that I simply cannot eat super rich, super fattening food all the time. Well, I try not to eat like that at all, but sometimes what are you gonna do? It's wonderful and I deserve it.
That is where my husband's Chicken Scallopini comes in. We've had this dish at a chain Italian restaurant that shall remain nameless. It is one of our favorite dishes there. So, one day, my dear husband decided to attempt to make this meal for us. He is a foodie and chef at heart and can reverse engineer pretty much any dish. It's a real talent!
He did an incredible job with this particular dish and let me tell you, he made it a lot more healthy than you will ever get at the restaurant. You can eat it guilt free. And we do!
Here is my husband's recipe for your enjoyment. I hope you try this dish and you'll see how easy it is to make and how you can have rich tasting food without all the butter and cream used in many restaurant dishes.
4 ounces lemon juice
2 ounces white wine
4 ounces cream (light)
2 ounces skim milk
1 tbsp flour
6 -8 chicken breasts (3-ounces each)
olive oil, for sauteing chicken
2 3/4 cups flour, seasoned with salt and pepper, for dredging
6 ounces bacon bits (or cooked pancetta)
12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
12 ounces artichoke hearts, sliced
To make the sauce:
- Heat the lemon juice and white wine in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and reduce by one-third.
- Mix flour and cold milk in a separate bowl, until there are no lumps.
- Add cream and flour/milk mixture to the saucepan and simmer until mixture thickens (3 to 4 minutes).
- Slowly add butter until completely incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
|Dreding the chicken.|
- Heat a small amount of oil and two tablespoons butter in a large skillet.
- Dredge chicken in flour and sautee in pan, turning once, until brown and cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add more oil to pan.(you'll use it to cook the veggies)
- Add remaining ingredients to pan (bacon, mushrooms, artichokes)
- Cook over low heat for 5-10
|Cook the chicken until it's nice|
|Sauce with veggies added in.|
Assembling the dish:
- Once you have your sauce ready and the vegetables are sauteed, add the sauteed vegetables to the sauce.
- Cook any pasta you like according to the directions on the box. (we like to use angel hair or linguini)
- Plate some pasta, place a piece (or two) of chicken on top of the pasta and spread the sauce over everything.
|The finished dish!|
How do you enjoy restaurant style dishes without all the fat? I'm always looking for new ideas and ways to enjoy rich foods without all of those pesky calories!